November 18, 2018
Subject: Please cease and desist the harassment and retaliation from Hi Point Apts LLC Agents Cliff Renfrew, Jade Beck, et al. We are still without housing services intercom and tandem parking
From: (tenant 9 name and email redacted)
To: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Date: Wednesday, November 7, 2018, 10:14 PM PST
email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Cliff Renfrew, Jade Beck, Walter Barratt feel they are above the law
To whom it may concern:
California Penal Code section 484: “(a) Every person who shall feloniously steal, take, carry, lead, or drive away the personal property of another, or who shall fraudulently appropriate property which has been entrusted to him or her, or who shall knowingly and designedly, by any false or fraudulent representation or pretense, defraud any other person of money, labor or real or personal property, or who causes or procures others to report falsely of his or her wealth or mercantile character and by thus imposing upon any person, obtains credit and thereby fraudulently gets or obtains possession of money, or property or obtains the labor or service of another, is guilty of theft. In determining the value of the property obtained, for the purposes of this section, the reasonable and fair market value shall be the test, and in determining the value of services received the contract price shall be the test. If there be no contract price, the reasonable and going wage for the service rendered shall govern. For the purposes of this section, any false or fraudulent representation or pretense made shall be treated as continuing, so as to cover any money, property or service received as a result thereof, and the complaint, information or indictment may charge that the crime was committed on any date during the particular period in question. The hiring of any additional employee or employees without advising each of them of every labor claim due and unpaid and every judgment that the employer has been unable to meet shall be prima facie evidence of intent to defraud.”
Who is the new resident manager at Hi Point Apartments 90035?
1. The taking of my rent monies by Hi Point Apts LLC et al. for fraudulent purposes is a criminal offense.
2. We have still not been notified who is the new resident manager at this address 1522 Hi Point St 90035. The law/ordinance requires a resident manager when there are over 16 units, and that the resident manager receive free rent.
3. Tenants at this location are entitled to a rent reimbursement for every month there is no resident manager.
4. If a new resident manager has been hired, please provide me the person’s contact information. 5. I would be open to consider signing a mutual tenant buyout agreement for …… All other rights would be expressly reserved.
6. By serving the 3 day notice to perform or quit Hi Point Apts LLC has violated the provisions of “Civil Code section 1940.4. (a)Except as provided in subdivision(c),a landlord shall not prohibit a tenant from posting or displaying political signs relating to any of the following…” In addition, the law section states that a tenant may continue to post the same sign up to fifteen days AFTER the election.
“…complaints (have been) filed with city code enforcement (and also a complaint for referral to REAP), the state Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Department of Real Estate, and a city claim for damages….”
7. Please provide me with a list of all properties in California owned by Walter Barratt.
8. Within the last thirty days, you have been named in complaints filed with city code enforcement (and also a complaint for referral to REAP), the state Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Department of Real Estate, and a city claim for damages.
9. Retaliation because I have opposed discriminatory housing practices, and because I have filed code violation complaints, is unlawful.
10. The Oct 31, 2018 – 3 day notice to perform or quit served by the owner has a photograph attached. The photograph is not authenticated. The date of the alleged violation on the notice does not match the date on the photograph.
11. The attached 3 day notice and envelope show it was served on November 2, 2018. This extends the time by five calendar days before the owner can file a court complaint.
12. The statute of limitations in California for breach of an agreement is four years, for personal injury the time frame is three years.
13. I am told that Eric Garcetti is of the Jewish faith. I have also read an article that says that most terrorist acts have been committed by Jews.
14. I understand that if Hi Point Apts LLC sues me, that they will name as witnesses to testify all tenants in the building as well as all members of the AAGLA.
15. Not only do I pay rent of about $1400 per month and still cannot get available housing services, but included in that rent is a (city) mandated $17.05 per month increase that is partly for an intercom system privilege supplied to White tenants but denied to myself and my roommate as Black tenants. 42 USC section 1981. 16. I have asked the DRE to revoke the real estate licenses of all AAGLA members.
17. I am surprised at Cliff Renfrew’s conduct since he has previously been sued for racial discrimination and retaliation against me, such allegations the truth of which he did not deny.
…”I have asked the DRE to revoke the real estate licenses of all AAGLA members…”
18. The package that Hi Point Apts LLC served by mail November 2, 2018 does not contain the required proof of service.
19. I am attaching pictures: (1) an authenticated picture taken today from inside my apartment showing no signs are posted on the window (2) the “Google Racism at Hi Point Apts” sign, a picture of which was shown to Los Angeles Superior Court Commissioner Hon. Ronald Frank by Williams Real Estate Advisors, Ali Mozannar, and Cynthia Ogan in order to unjustly bias the commissioner’s decision (3) November 2 mailed 3 day notice from owner- three pages plus envelope (4) picture of tenant number 7 door at Hi Point Apts, a white “privilege” tenant who has not been served a three day notice for having a wreath on her door (5) picture of tenant number 4 door at Hi Point Apts, a white “privilege” tenant who has not been served a three day notice for having a Muslim Koran on his door. I have been denied the same equal privileges of having a wreath and Koran on my unit door.
“…such lack of service prohibits the landlord from demanding or collecting rent…”
20. The owner has not served tenants with a copy of the 2018 Rent Registration renewal for units, as required by rent control, which such lack of service prohibits the landlord from demanding or collecting rent.
21. Unit 9 tenants remain without a working intercom, without a tandem parking stall, and without rent reimbursements for reduction of housing services.
Interference with Election Process- Violation of Black Candidate Civil Rights
All rights reserved.
(tenant 9 name, phone redacted)
cc: California Teacher’s Association, AFSCME Local 3299 Issues, Aids Healthcare Foundation ACCE Action, Citizens Police Advisory Board Los Angeles, FBI, Secretary State Alex Padilla, Internal Revenue Service, FPPC, HUD, DFEH, Department of Real Estate Los Angeles Licensing Bureau, AAGLA, Eviction Defense Network, ACLU, Los Angeles Ethics Commission, Black Lives Matter, Facebook, HUD, Los Angeles Tenants Union, Ali Mozannar
ref: 42 USC section 1981
November 1, 2018
Subject: AAGLA Racist Landlord Retaliates Against Black Supporters of Prop 10
From: (tenant name and email redacted)
To: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org;
cc: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;
Date: Thursday, November 1, 2018 7:09 PM
AAGLA Racist Landlord Retaliates Against Black Supporters of Prop 10
CCC Section 1942.5 is Invoked
213-384-4131 – AAGLA
Director, Finance & Operations
Director, Government Affairs & External Relations Janet Gagnon Ext. 309
Manager, Membership & Sales
Coordinator, Membership & Sales
Coordinator, Events & Seminars
Manager, Member Services
Maureen Farrell, Notary Public
Manager, Member Services
Manager, Member Services, Spanish Liaison Maria Arnold Ext. 314
Manager, Member Services, Korean Liaison Jennifer Lee Ext. 303
Reception & Office Manager
Jonathan Arambel, Steve Carlson
Interference with Election Process- Violation of Black Candidate Civil Rights
To Whom It May Concern:
Today at about 4:30 p.m. my roommate and I received the attached 3 day “Notice to Perform or Quit” with the attached “house rules” and black and white picture alleged to be our window from the outside but no identification on the picture. The notice is dated 10/31/2018 with the names AAGLA, Cliff Renfrew, and Jade Beck.
1. I attach a color picture of the Jade Beck-Cliff Renfrew-Walter Barratt sign which reads “Vote Yes on 10” which refers to the upcoming election November 6, 2018.
2. Unit #4 white Jewish tenant has a Muslim type Koran scripture on his door for years but has not faced the same retaliation as Black tenants like myself. I would like permission to post the same Muslin Koran type literature on my door.
3. I ask that the Department of Real Estate investigate and revoke the real estate licenses of Keller Williams, Hi Point Apts, LLC, Jade Beck, Walter Barratt, and AAGLA for violation of the laws under the DRE jurisdiction.
4. I request that Walter Barratt immediately in writing notify me that the 3 day notice has been rescinded.
5. I request that the IRS, FPPC, HUD and the FBI investigate Walter Barratt, Hi Point Apts LLC, and Keller Williams for violation of civil rights.
6. I request the city council of Los Angeles revoke the businesses licenses of Hi Point Apts, LLC, Keller Williams, and all members of the AAGLA.
7. As of the writing of this email, I do not see any signs posted in unit 9’s window.
8. I ask that the employment of Jade Beck and Cliff Renfrew be terminated.
9. California Civil Code section 1940.4 allows any tenant to post the sign that Hi Point Apts LLC/AAGLA has complained about.
10. As a tenant is entitled to post such sign, the landlord 3 day notice and house rules section of Jade Beck/AAGLA is unlawful as it violates tenant rights under State civil code section 1940.4. The landlord and his agents were warned previous times on this issue.
11. The owner has not served tenants with a copy of the 2018 Rent Registration renewal for units, as required by rent control, which such lack of service prohibits the landlord from demanding or collecting rent.
12. I primarily consider the 3 day notice from AAGLA/ Barratt/ Renfrew to be unlawful retaliation because I complained of race discrimination and made code violation complaints.
13. Your 3 day notice is dated October 31 2018 and served today; I did not see any sign posted in unit 9 window on Oct 31 or today.
All rights reserved.
[Tenant 9 name redacted]
1522 Hi Point St 9
Los Angeles CA 90035
c: California Teacher’s Association, AFSCME Local 3299 Issues, Aids Healthcare Foundation ACCE Action, Citizens Police Advisory Board Los Angeles, FBI, Secretary State Alex Padilla, Internal Revenue Service, FPPC, HUD, DFEH, Department of Real Estate Los Angeles Licensing Bureau, AAGLA, Eviction Defense Network, ACLU, Los Angeles Ethics Commission, Black Lives Matter, Facebook, HUD, Los Angeles Tenants Union, Ali Mozannar
reference: Apts on the left side of this building are about 19.5 feet wide and the apartments on the right side are 17.5 feet wide. The building is the subject of code enforcement violation complaint 693721 received by the city Los Angeles dated October 9, 2018. All tenants named in the Complaint include: Zachary Burch, Daniel Dirgo, Joseph Perez, Heidi Cravens, Tyler Ruggeri, Rafael Duran, Rachel Connell, Sean Sinclair, Cristina & Tony, Mario Godiva, Mary Mondrus, Bryan Bellio, LEE KAPLAN, William T. Barnhart; Mary Riveral.
reference: Unit 9 tenants remain without a working intercom, without a tandem parking stall, and without rent reimbursements for reduction of housing services.
Retaliation and Agent Liability
CCC Section 1942.5.
(a) If the lessor retaliates against the lessee because of the exercise by the lessee of his rights under this chapter or because of his complaint to an appropriate agency as to tenantability of a dwelling, and if the lessee of a dwelling is not in default as to the payment of his rent, the lessor may not recover possession of a dwelling in any action or proceeding, cause the lessee to quit involuntarily, increase the rent, or decrease any services within 180 days of any of the following: (c) It is unlawful for a lessor to increase rent, decrease services, cause a lessee to quit involuntarily, bring an action to recover possession, or threaten to do any of those acts, for the purpose of retaliating against the lessee because he or she has lawfully organized or participated in a lessees’ association or an organization advocating lessees’ rights or has lawfully and peaceably exercised any rights under the law. In an action brought by or against the lessee pursuant to this subdivision, the lessee shall bear the burden of producing evidence that the lessor’s conduct was, in fact, retaliatory. (f) Any lessor or agent of a lessor who violates this section shall be liable to the lessee in a civil action for all of the following:
1) The actual damages sustained by the lessee.
2) Punitive damages in an amount of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than two thousand dollars ($2,000) for each retaliatory act where the lessor or agent has been guilty of fraud, oppression, or malice with respect to that act.
(h) The remedies provided by this section shall be in addition to any other remedies provided by statutory or decisional law.
CCC Section 1942.5 is Invoked
Vote Yes Prop 10 Sign.jpeg (863.15KB)
2018-11-1 Notice 3 Day from Walter.pdf (2.80MB)
(Editor note: this email has been redacted but is a Publicly Accessible Document.)
Keller Williams Real Estate can be reached at 310-432-6400. Jade Beck can be reached at 818-732-5441. Walter Barratt and Cliff Renfrew can be reached at 310-367-5884. Hi Point Apts LLC claims to be a member of AAGLA (Apartment Association of Greater Los Angeles). These people believe Blacks and Latinos are not entitled to fair housing.
Rent agreements/leases can not contain any provisions that violate rights under local, state or federal laws.
California Civil Code (excerpt)
1940.4. (a)Except as provided in subdivision(c),a landlord shall not prohibit a tenant from posting or displaying political signs relating to any of the following:
(1) An election or legislative vote, including an election of a candidate to public office.
(2) The initiative, referendum, or recall process.
(3) Issues that are before a public commission, public board, or elected local body for a vote.
(b) Political signs may be posted or displayed in the window or on the door of the premises leased by the tenant in a multifamily dwelling, or from the yard, window, door, balcony, or outside wall of the premises leased by a tenant of a single-family dwelling.
(c) A landlord may prohibit a tenant from posting or displaying political signs in the following circumstances:
(1) The political sign is more than six square feet in size.
(2) The posting or displaying would violate a local, state, or federal law.
(3) The posting or displaying would violate a lawful provision in a common interest development governing a document that satisfies the criteria of Section 1353.6.